When I plotted and planned the end of Dragon Masque, I thought it would end at around 75,000 words. The end of last week I had just hit 60,000 and felt I had another two weeks or so of writing left in on it.
Boy, was I wrong.
First of all, since the kids were at their dad’s, I ended up writing over 5,000 between Saturday and Sunday. I took things nice and easy but the writing came in bursts and I just did not want to stop the flow. 1,000 here. Another 800 there. Before I knew it I had racked up a sizable word count for the weekend.
That was okay. I needed that push, but it seemed to continue into Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
The first half of the story I was trying to focus on where the characters and setting was leading. The second half, I finally figured it out. The last 20,000 words or so left the thoughts behind and went straight to a screenplay sort of script. It was not intentional. It just sort of happened that way. There was more action, and less in the head scenes so I went with it.
So the last three weeks I have just been putting action and dialogue onto the page. Luckily it is draft 0 and no one is going to see it just yet.
I wrote my 1,000 words and kept going. Then after another hour, it ended.
Dragon Masque is finished with a word count of 68,885.
Not really too bad for a first draft actually. I have plenty of room to do more character development and really get in to the character’s head. I also have room to thicken the plot line and pull some of the other elements that were only hinted at into the story.
Normally a contemporary fantasy is between 90,000 and 120,000 words. My goal is to be about 92,000 after edits.
For now, Dragon Masque is being put up for at least two weeks or a month, depending on what project I decide to pick up next. Book 2 (name undecided yet) is in the planning stages. I have some short stories that need love. Beadwork to finish. Etsy store to put up.
In other words, I might be done, but I still have a lot to work on.
Thanks for reading!