Homemade gifts – or how I nearly pulled my hair out before Christmas


(blog post round 2)*

I’ve always enjoyed giving hand made gifts. I remember learning to crochet as a child and giving out lopsided pot holders to my family for Christmas.  Since then, I’ve learned several other crafts including beadwork and lampworking.

The last few years I’ve made it a point to give the boys something hand made.  They’ve gotten scarves, house slippers and fingerless gloves the last few years.  Most of these things I can make up fairly quickly and they do use them.

While looking at crocheted hats on Etsy one day, I cam across some Mohawk caps and as a joke, showed them to my oldest.  O.o  He loved them and asked for one for Christmas.  Z even knew what colors he wanted: dark purple body, two white stripes and lime green fringe.   I said okay and stared looking for free hat patterns.

Once I found one, I pulled out the purple and white yarn and set to work.  Now the hat pattern was only a basic hat, I had to make a few more rounds for the back and ear flaps, but that was a no brainer.  The hardest part was deciding on how to do the fringe.  I decided on making a larkshead knot, two to a row for the hair.  I think it worked out quite well.  Most of the pattern was done in double crochet, except for the stripes–single crochet–and the trim.  Over all, it took about 4 hours for the body and another 2 hours for the fringework.  See  I think  he likes it.

Then, I started on J’s hat. He finally decided on a black body with orange stripes and red trim.  Since I knew I didn’t have enough of the black, I went to the store and bought more, along with some red for the fringe.

Now, most of the time, if I use the exact same supplies for a second project, things always turn out the same right?  -_-  J’s hat just would not cooperate.  Even though I used the same type/brand yarn, the black was somehow thicker but just a bit. No big deal right? The first three rounds of the hat was fine, but after that, it turned into a lopsided floppy frisby.  So I ripped it out and started again, wondering if I had picked up a stitch or two somehow.

Nope,  same thing.

I think I ripped it apart 4 or 5 times and still didn’t get it right.

So I dug into my yarn stash and came up with some thinner yarn for the top, started the pattern again and yes, this time it worked better.  However….

it ended up too big.

Same pattern, same amount of stitches, same type/brand of yarn.

But both the boys are happy.  J wears a short stocking cap under his so it doesn’t fly off.  I’m going to make some more, just because I want to know where I went wrong with the second hat.  If you want one, let me know. 😉

 

 

 

*Apparently my computer decided to shut down during my first draft.  And since the interwebs occasionally is funky here, WP didn’t save it.  Sans blog post round 2. lol

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s